Monday, June 8, 2009

Persuasion


I had a hard time getting into this book in the first few pages. I think that had to do with my experience with Pride & Prejudice. I watched two movie versions before reading the book so by that time I was well acquainted with all the characters. I didn't instantly feel that connection to the characters in this book.

Once I got past that I completely loved this book. I love that Anne Elliot was a level-headed, smart, sensible woman despite having two very selfish sisters and an even more selfish father who didn't much care for her.

I especially got a kick out of Mary. She reminds me perfectly of someone close to me who will remain nameless. She is so ridiculous and maddening that she actually becomes comical.

I admire Anne for her ability to deal with everyone with patience and kindness. Especially the two girls that become Captain Wentworth's potential loves.

I've enjoyed the two Jane Austen books that I've read because she writes realistically about the pain and heartache that goes along with love. I could feel Anne's regret about ending her engagement to Captain Wentworth and found myself completely miserable thinking about him with Louisa. In the end when he wrote her that note my heart was racing with the possibilities of what it would say. It was as if I was Anne Elliot reading the note that would change my life forever.


I highly recommend this book to anyone. As for me, it will now go on my shelf and I will read it again in a couple years.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This wasn't my favorite Austen book. It was the first I'd ever read, but it felt incomplete, and I didn't fully understand her writing style then. I might like it better now that I'm more used to that. But I've heard she wasn't finished with the book before she died, which is probably why it felt so incomplete and rough for me.

Jess said...

Compared to P&P it did lack a lot of details. I wanted to know more about the characters, esp. Captain Wentworth.

The copy I have has two endings. It has her original ending, then the ending that she re-wrote. I didn't even read the original ending because I knew it wouldn't have enough details.

Heather said...

Cute new blog! I love it!

I haven't read any of Jane Austens books but I should. I have seen a couple of versions of Pride and Prejudice and I love them.